Jul 22, 2014

Making Time for Yourself

"Make Time for Yourself..." I hear this all the time for my therapist, aunt, friends, T.V. and advertisements, and now that I have some experience under my belt I understand it better and why it's important. What I've learned is that people and life will always have demands and always expected them to be fulfilled like "NOW!” The number of demands are endless and sometimes pointless and insignificant and people don't care as long you're doing what they want you to do, when they want you to do it. And obviously they don't care how it affects you in the long run. With all that being said, sometimes I've had to turn off my phone, leave the e-mails unchecked for a day or two, stay off Facebook, Instagram, MySpace and any other form of social media and get away from my job, family and friends for a while. When I did I came back better than I was before refreshed, balanced, clear-headed and relaxed. When I didn't do this...well just the opposite would happen, and it was like my whole life would crash and/or go off course. Now, I've always had a bad case of the 'Disease to Please', I wanted everybody to be happy and satisfied especially the people that were close to me. Because of that, I would put off things that I had intended to do or need to do for myself in order to fulfill that desire to make everyone else happy. I do things like for example: go to the grocery store and when I originally went there for myself, I would have like three other people's shopping lists in my hand as well as my own (my mom, grandfather, friends etc.) and I would be so worried about getting everything on their lists, I'd forget to look at my own list and get the things I needed. To make matters worse, nobody would give me money for their stuff majority of the time. Smh. Another example would be, helping everyone else with their homework and not finishing or even starting on my own. And when I did, it was too late to start or finish it, everyone got a good grade except me. Therefore, I'm learning fast to "Make Time for Myself" even if it's just for making sure I have time to get dress, prepare for work the next day or just time to relax and clear my head. I learned that by making time for myself, it didn’t mean that I was selfish or that I didn’t care about anyone else (regardless that guilt trips may suggest otherwise) it's about taking care of myself before I do anyone else. I know this phrase could sound poster-board cheesy but I regardless of how it’s worded, I find it to be a well needed reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog